Microsoft BigData/HDInsight Datawarehouse
Micorosft are developing a BigData Solution based on Hadoop. Currently is Hortonworkd HDP 1.1 used but this might change. What's good is that HDP has good support for ODBC which makes it possible to connect to the data warehouse from a vareity of reporting solutions (foir instance Excel).
- Launch a AWS EC2 instance, I'm using m1.xlarge for now
- Connect and install HDInsight using this http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35397
- Install Hortonworks ODBC driver (I'm using 64 bit) - http://hortonworks.com/thankyou-hdp12/#addon-table
- Check that hive is up and running. Open a PowerShell session
./hive -h localhost -p 10000
show tables- empty result but there should not be any errors
- Open the task manager, check that CPU and Memory is ok
- Open the ODBC manager
- Navigate to System DSN->select Sample Hortonworks...->Configure
- Now enter Host: localhost, Hive Server Type: Hive Server 1
- Hit test
- Go to the Task Manager and click on the CPU column
Java consumes 30% CPU and ODBC 15% and ODBC manager does not respond.
Test with MapR ODBC Connector
Download the MapR ODBC driver from here: http://www.mapr.com/doc/display/MapR/Hive+ODBC+Connector
Do the same test as above. Same result...